The original owner of the restaurant known today as "Skeeters" was a man named Mr. E.N. Umberger. The first E.N. Umberger Store opened in 1925, originally located in a different building on Main St. before moving to its current location at 165 E. Main Street in the 1940s.
When Mr. E.N. Umberger first started selling hot dogs, they sold for a nickel. Though the price of a hot dog has changed. the hot dogs themselves have remained the same as the millions that have been sold since 1925.
The name "Skeeters" came from the nickname given to Mr. Umberger's son, E.N. Jr., by his mother. Over the years when Skeeter ran the store, the hot dogs became known as "Skeeter-dogs" and the store became affectionately known as "Skeeter's". According to Skeeter, prior to 1950 (when his dad ran the store) it was a grocery and the hot dogs and lunches were a sideline. With time, the hot dogs drew customers locally and from around the world and is the main seller today.
Generations of families have sat on the spinning stools at the vintage lunch counter, sipped a Baby Coke, and enjoyed the steamed hot dogs.
Skeeter's World Famous Hot Dogs made the list of Top 64 hot dogs in America in the Rachel Ray magazine Every Day.